OrangeOkie,

Fwiw, there a few flaws in the article about MAJ Murphy (He made Major in the TXARNG) was that the ARMY, NAVY, USAAC & the Marines turned him down, as "unsuitable for military service". = He WAS allowed to join the 3/144th Infantry Regiment, TXARNG & when he attended basic training, he was allowed to enlist in the Active Army for a period "of the World War plus 6 months".
(After he received the MoH, I've wondered how embarrassed that all of the people must have been to NOT have accepted THE MOST DECORATED soldier of WWII into their branch of service because of "unsuitability".)

When he was released from AD with the US Army, 1LT Murphy returned to the TXARNG, was promoted to Captain & later to Major.
(He was a Major at retirement from the Texas Guard. - We of the 3/144th Infantry are VERY PROUD of his valor & service, whether AD or ARNG and that he was "one of ours".

Btw, my mother taught Audie (8th Grade English) & all of his sisters (Vocational Home Economics) when she taught school in Elysian Fields. - (After Mother passed away at age 99YO in SEP 2016, we found a long letter from 2LT Murphy in Mother's Bible, that he wrote her just before Christmas 1944 & while he was hospitalized in an Army hospital with a severe bullet-wound to his hip. = 2LT Murphy said in the "Christmas letter" that he had received an appointment to WEST POINT & that he was eager to be a WPMA cadet & looked forward to being a Career Army Officer. - As his luck would have it, his wound never healed sufficiently to allow him to attend West Point & in early 1945 he was released from active Army service for "disability" BUT he never received a service-connected disability check, as far as I can find out.)

yours, tex

Last edited by satx78247; 06/01/19. Reason: addenda

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836