Assuming modern steel etc the 92 is a stronger design but both are more than strong enough for the 44 mag. The 92 was designed around short pistol sized cartridges and that size rifle proved to be very popular when it was introduced. Winchester asked Browning to retain the size and handling of the 92 but come up with a rifle that could be chambered for longer cartridges like the 30/30 and 38/55. The Win 1894 was the result and that size rifle along with the 30/30's performance proved to be extremely popular.

In the 60's the 92 was no longer produced but there was renewed interest in leverguns in pistol sized cartridges. Both Winchester and Marlin adapted their 30/30 rifles to chamber and operate in 44mag. Early attempts had some success but getting a long action to feed a short cartridge needed a lot more refining. Eventually over many years Winchester managed to get the shorter cartridges to work but for my money I'd look to buy a 92 type action. If you can afford it look for a Browning 92. Avoid the early 94's with the pressed steel shell lifters. I had one of those and it was nothing but trouble.

Last edited by JFE; 06/04/19.