fishdog,

Bergers definitely work at "normal" hunting ranges, but many who try them make some mistakes.

First, like many handloaders their minds automatically connect "long-range hunting bullet" with high muzzle velocity. Berger doesn't recommend them starting over 3100 fps, as I recall, and I like no more than 3000 myself. The long-range part comes from their high BC's, and they open well even at 500+ yards when started at 3000, or even less.

Second, they often shoot shoulders, even though Bergers kill so quickly. I haven't had one come part on bone yet, and I've deliberately shot them into shoulder bone on deer-sized animals--but always with muzzle velocities no more than 3000. In fact, one of the problems we had in New Zealand was the first several goats we shot all involved at least one shoulder. While they all dropped right there, one of the things we wanted to test was how quickly they killed with rib shots, so at lunch that first day we all discussed using only rib shots for while. Eileen started answering the question by shooting a big billy at around 200 yards across a canyon maybe 3 inches behind the shoulder. The goat dropped immediately, rolling down the slope.

They also don't penetrate deeply. At closer ranges about 18-20" is about all you can expected from most of 'em, but if feel the need for deeper penetration you can use the old rule for cup-and-core bullets, and use a heavier bullet at, say, 2700 fps.

I really like 'em for meat-saving shots on pretty much broadside animals--but try to place them so the EXIT hole (if there is one) doesn't hit meat.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck