Pondering some options here for using TSS-18 or HW-15 in 12 gauge pheasant loads:

Option 1: Pure TSS-18 #9 shot - 7/8 oz at 1650 fps. This batch of TSS is actually a bit denser than 18, and so we are looking at 307 pellets, which happens to be exactly the pellet count in a 1 3/8 oz charge of lead #6. The TSS #9 retains lethality (1.5-inch penetration) to 73 yards at 1450 fps (I can't find this data for 1650 fps, but range will be extended!), so, assuming I can get it to pattern, just wow. The downside is it's roughly $3 per shell in payload, and I am not sure I can get it to open up fast enough for close flushers.

Option 2: HW-15 #7 shot. Still expensive, but less so by half: $1.50-ish payload per shell. A full one ounce load at a screaming 1550-1650 fps, 221 pellet count, which is about equal to 1 oz of lead 6's or 1 5/16 oz of lead 5's. The only lethality data I could find was at 1300 fps, where these babies carry energy sufficient to yield 1.5 inches of penetration out to 72 yards. Wow again. Add 300-ish fps and you have some serious range for wild-flushing roosters!

Option 3: Duplex: I can use 3-inch shells, and load a 1 3/8 oz payload to 1350 fps. 3/8 oz of #9 TSS (115 pellets), behind 1 oz of lead #5's (172 pellets) say, the TSS #9's pushing the 5's into blossoming fast for the close flushers, and the core of 9's holding together for extended range ... at least in theory. Also, cheaper yet again at $1.10-ish per shell.

Option #4: Same duplex concept, but with #7 HW-15's backing up lead 5's or 6's. To get pellet count up, it looks like I could get a 1 5/8 oz payload to 1300 fps. 5/8 oz of the HW-15 is 137 pellets, then 1 oz of 6's is 223 pellets. Little less expensive still at under $1 payload per shell.

Obviously on the duplex loads I could fiddle with how much and what size of tungsten as well as lead to find an optimal combo of range, pellet counts, lethality, etc.

Any thoughts welcome ...

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine