Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
How's the engine braking in these new pickups with 6 and 8 spd trannies compared to a manual? I haven't driven one in the mountains.

Not sure if you are referring to a diesel or gas? as others have said the diesel brake is very effective. My 2009 Chevy gasser has a 6 sp auto with a tow mode and that thing really downshifts hard,
Only so much a gas engine can do for braking with the relatively low compression and all. Overall I would say it is very effective.
Sorry I wasn't more clear. The OP topic was Hemi and I was talking about that. I know what it does with a diesel. I was wondering what the new transmissions do for braking compared to the older 4 speed trannies or a manual (which isn't available any more)

All of the new automatic transmissions have a simple manual mode that work with a +/- button on the shifter. They're every bit as "manual" as a manual, save that they won't downshift if it'll over-rev the engine. They shift faster and more smoothly than even the most practiced driver of a true manual. The only thing missing is the 3rd pedal and it's ability to keep a fair number of folks out of the driver's seat.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.