Been quite a few years now, about 1981 or82 as I recall. Saw and ad in the paper where someone was selling a Ruger M77 RSI in .308 Win. at a damn low price. I'd been wanting one for some time so I called the guy and he said he hadn't sold it. Well, long story short he was selling it because it was the most inaccurate rifle he's ever owned. I even got the price reduced another $50 but it did come home with me. It took a bit over two years trying to find a load that was at least acceptable for hunting. I set the standard at 1.5" or less on a consistent basis. Ended up with a hot load using W760 and the 165 gr. Speer Hot Core. Switch to a Sierra or Hornady bullet of the same weight and things turn to crap again. Did a little tinkering with the metal nose cap on the stock with a Dremel tool and cratex tip and groups now run closer to 1.25" most of the time.

I saw two more Ruger M77 RSIs for sale over then next few years, all in .308 that wouldn't group for their owners and got into them cheap. The "magic load" worked just fine in both guns. The load only did about 2550 FPS according to the chronograph from them and 2610 FPS from a 22" barrel but I did take deer from about 35 feet to one shot as a lasered 250 yards. Guess I've taken about 16 deer with that first rifle and it is a keeper. I'd keep one of the others as well as it was my late wife's rifle that she used when she hunted with me.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE