Originally Posted by Caleveras
Great pictures!

+1 on I would like to hear more about the hunt. I did the same about ten years ago for Chamois and Tahr and had a great experience. The South Island is stunning, and the people are exceptional.

In New Zealand it's pretty much anything goes as far as hunting rules and regulations. You can literally shoot your animals right out the door of a helicopter, if that's what you want. However, when I booked the hunt I was very specific with the outfitter that I wanted a true hunting experience. I definitely got it. Both the tarh and the chamois hunts were drop camps, ie the guide and I were flown into an area and dropped with backpack gear. Both animals were hunted from the valley floors, spot then stalk/climb. The mountains there are very big, and very steep, covered in vegetation that is constantly trying to poke, grab, or take a chunk out of you lol. I've done a lot of sheep hunting, and can assure that both the tarh and the chamois were as challenging as any sheep hunt I've done. As mentioned above, those tahr can really disappear on those mountain sides, making spotting them difficult. Definitely not a slam dunk, as I finally shot the tahr on the afternoon of the last day of the hunt. There were many good bulls spotted earlier in the hunt that I could have killed, but they were in spots that would have most likely been very dangerous, or even impossible, to recover them, so elected to pass on those. The weather was a total mixed bag, from blazing hot to rain and howling wind, typical for any mountain hunt.

Last edited by albertadave; 06/14/19.