Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Those, too.

But we're wasting our time. The ones who misuse all those words think it doesn't matter, and that we're being grammar nazis because we believe that how you use language reflects upon your intelligence.

Hey Rocky: Firefox is telling me that Nazis should be capitalized XD

But off the pedantic pedestal.

In some ways I have to agree with those that are of the opinion that misusing break for brake, you're for your, they're for there etc... is not a true reflection of an individual's intelligence. I certainly know that when I'm typing away at a fast clip, I'll use it's instead of its (and other mistakes). It's in the proofreading that these mistakes are caught. In fact, just a few days ago, I used siting instead of sighting. The error was caught after posting, and was later edited.

Yet there is certainly merit to the thought that misusing sight instead of cite or site is indeed a measure of ones intelligence. It is unlikely that an American would be able to graduate from high school without having been taught correct usage. I know that my sons (just out of 6th and 4th grades) are continually being exposed to homonyms. Perhaps the inability to memorize usage is a reflection of intelligence? Though vocabulary usage is certainly is not part of any standardized IQ test.

Regards,
Scott