Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I've tried two sets of grips on two different pistols recently and made some initial changes based on how the gun felt in hand.

The first was a Walther Q5. The large grip that comes with the Q5 is ridiculously uncomfortable and completely unsuitable for the human hand. It hurts to grip it hard. So I put on the medium grip on, which felt great, and started shooting. But the recoil was really erratic. Switching to the large grip made was less comfortable, but with it the dot tracked directly up and down very predictably.

And I had a similar situation with an M&P 2.0. The 1.0 medium grips are too thin for me so I've always used the 1.0 large grip, even though it feels too large for me. The new 2.0s have a medium-large grip that has the same depth as the medium with the palm swell of the large. It feels like Moses brought it down off a mountain just for my hand. But in use the large grip positions my trigger finger more appropriately and I'm less likely to push the gun around during the trigger press, even though it "feels" less comfortable.

Stuff like this is one of the big reasons I hate hearing "just see which one feels best" when selecting new guns. How it feels isn't as important as how it shoots. And the two don't always have a positive correlation.

Blue how hard of a grip do you use?
I grip almost every defensive gun with an absolute death grip. It’s never really comfortable form me as much as it is awkward/less awkward. Right or wrong its how I have learned to shoot fast and accurately. Take for instance Glocks with and without finger groves. It virtually doesn’t matter which one I have, the finger groves “disappear” figuratively Crush grip I give. Conversely I have a more organic approach to grip when it comes to hunting handguns where my focus isn’t on the balance speed and accuracy.