Steve,
In the early years of "F" class, guys were often getting by with BR scopes in the 24x range or with variables which topped out at the same level. This was before everyone had to have a Nightforce or be shunned. The problem, in many instances, was the limited elevation adjustment whichmage it difficult to move from 300 to 900m. I ended up making an elevation adjustable mount for the Variable 6-24 I was using.
On the silhouette range, most are using variables in the 6-24 range. I prefer scopes of around 16X and am using a Weaver KT15, a Weaver V6-24 (set at 15), a Leupold 12, and a Weaver T10. I tried a 20X leupold for a while; really liked it and shot well with it but I had issues with crossfiring due to the limited field of view (probably in combination with poor positioning) so I went back to the 15. I would dearly love to see someone make a fixed 16 with a decent length tube and a 3/4 minute dot. That would be my dream silhouette scope. The 20 is now on one of my TR-O rifles and I like it for that.
I have little doubt that the scopes which are priced in the thousands, rather than hundreds, are optically superior to my old stuff but my 70 year old eyes, even with the new lenses, aren't that clear anyway. GD