A lot of good info in the article. I can't throw rocks at Wieland but I'd like to have seen COALs listed for the loads along with the case capacity. He did both in a way but it was kinda like going around yo elbow to scratch yo butt. If the 42 gr of that powder fills the case up to within 0.2" of the mouth, you can backfigure using the VMD and add back the unfilled space and get +/- 46 gr of water capacity overflow. The picture shows an interesting shot of a cartridge laying in the "box magazine" being a perfect fit with the bullet seated to the cannelure. A little strange as the only info I've seen here was posted back around the middle of April giving capacity of the Norma case at about 44 grs. Not a lot of difference but as he states, a dish worth careful consideration. Strange too that 46 grs is the same capacity I get when examining 30-30 Win cases of Win manu once fired with a max load in my rifle of H4895 under a 170 gr NP. Contrasting those 150 gr loads with the same powders in the 30-30 shows loads of roughly 2-3 grains more powder. Nesbit lists the figure of 43000 (cup prob) when using 0.311" projectiles in his article. I have no idea of the pressures of the loads in this recent article but they're durn sure not weak! Back awhile, Mule Deer did an article and quoted a Win case charged with IMR 4895 as producing 1950+ fps as his chosen max load. Anecdotal evidence from years back report factory 190s to yield +/- 1850 to 1950 fps dependent upon barrel length. All the stories of larger critters demise and super performance of the round is built on the 190 gr. I have no idea as to how many of these stories were accomplished with hand loads but I doubt a large percentage. Old girls ain't meant to have their feathers ruffled very hard. That "A" model pictured appears to be in good shape considering its age. Wonder how it will hold up?

Last edited by loggerhead; 07/05/19.