Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by Ready
As a professional (read: someone making a living by doing that stuff) hunter, a researcher in game meat hygiene as well as a guide in Alaska (better to be a "has been", then a "never was")

I have not come to understand the infatuation with the concept of the Havalon Piranta.

To me - that unicorn would be something like a 4" Droppoint.

https://blademag.com/knife-collecting/legacy-bob-lovelesss-dropped-hunter

Not sure where you are trying

I did not try; I went. Whether you follow, is no concern to me

to go with the Professional comment. I have seen enough "Professionals" That didn't have a clue in their area of profession. I love the comment "I have been doing this for X amount of years" Yeah doing it wrong for X amount of time.

Good for them, if they can stay in business, doing it that way. In general, opportunity/need to do a thing many times over tends to blossom in some form of expertise, me thinks...

The infatuation is that it simply works and works well for you. It is cheap, it has no emotional value (so no big deal if you lose it.), it is fast and easy to change a blade, and is the 30-06 of knives (you can find them anywhere).

I have been buying, selling, using, and loving custom knives since I got my first Randall in 1984. So I get the love of custom knives.

As far as the Loveless that wouldn't even make my top ten in customs. Bob made a great knife and his work is legendary. In form, function, and field it's far behind you say. I would take a boring May or Ingram long before a Loveless. Phil Wilson here I agree , Big Chris, David Wesner, Jerry Halfrich, and Rick Menefee would be at the top of my list.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.