Yes, my dad has passed; however, he really didn't use the Weatherby much as he was a bird hunter more than a deer hunter. I think the only thing he ever killed with the Weatherby is a hog, but his model 12 shotgun is a different story - it's one of those guns that he used all his life and killed hundreds of mallards with on the Platte river when we lived in Colorado. He did love the Weatherby though because it has a very unique blond stock with a very dark patch of walnut at the last five inches of the buttstock. The Weatherby is beautiful, but I find it heavy and clunky. I would like to put the rifle to use though, just so that I could say I kept it going instead of having it just sit in the safe. I am going to pass it on to my son who thinks the stock looks cool. The Weatherby needs a new trigger as the one it has is pretty rough.

The .264 Classic is simply a killing machine and I have taken about 200 deer with it. I have purchased many rifles thinking I would use something else, but nothing is as familiar, trusted and comfortable as the 264 Classic is to me, so I have sold everything else and it's all I own now except my dad's 30-06.

I think what I will do is plan on taking both when I hunt elk, but plan a special cow elk hunt sometime in the future with my son and I can take my dad's rifle, high gloss stock and all, and kill a cow elk with it while I am hunting with my son. This way my son will have some memories with me and my dad's rifle during the late season, snow covered mountains of Colorado or whatever state we end up hunting in.