Originally Posted by RJY66
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by driggy
The two biggest items I know of is the TIPM and the roller lifters.

The roller lifter issue shows up around 80k to 120k miles. It will start throwing codes. What is happening is the roller lifter bearings wear out and start to wear away at the cam lobes. The valves can't open correctly, causing issues, especially at higher RPMs. These issues are the exception, and not the rule.

Our experience is that the cause of the lifter problem/s, stems from the 4-8 cylinder solenoids clogging with sludge residue, therefore slowing / reducing oil to top end at start up !

2 of the vehicles (2008 & 2009) that "died this death" were regularly maintained with 5000km (3125mile) lube, oil & filter services.

Do you have any idea why that is? IMO no modern motor oil is going to sludge up in 3,000 miles even if you short trip it. Change the oil every 3k in a small block chevy and you could eat off the valve train.

I have an old 2001 "second generation" Dodge truck with 140k miles. Runs good but looking under the oil fill cap.....its ugly. And the previous owner changed oil every 5k or so he said.

Must be a Dodge thing.

May as well add my good friend has a 2013 or 2014 w/5.7 Hemi that he bought new that he has had no problems with. Its super nice.......the newer ones do ride like Cadillacs.

Should have been more specific, sorry !

It not the solenoids themselves, but the micro screens attached to them, that the oil passes through.

Both these Rams hemi's had between 100 & 150k miles.

Best guess is, that it just plugs up over time.

We have started changing the solenoid screens when we change the 16 plugs. Dodge recommends every 60K - Phug that !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"