Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Personally, after using a bunch of different reticles over the decades, these days I'm pretty well satisfied with plex-type reticle, perhaps with an illuminated dot in the middle or, in a dialing scope, windage hashmarks on the horizontal crosshair. You, of course, might want something else, and luckily today there are far more choices than crosshairs, post or dot.

I agree with the notion that a plex reticle does much of what I need, although I've gotten spoiled by having extras like a center dot illumination, or perhaps a couple of extra dots or hashes for simple hitting at pre-determined ranges. Probably 90% of the time, I'm still killing with the center duplex though, even when those other features are present.

On a side note, I happened to notice recently that a heavy-duty FFP scope I bought for turret spinning, steel shooting, and hunting actually offers usable basic hold-over points with its mil-based reticle. I'd not have expected that, but JBM Ballistics indicates a zero around 200yds should allow the first three hash-marks to be "killing close" at 300,350,and 400yds. That wasn't why I bought the scope, but it may turn out to be a fortunate feature in the hunting field. Options certainly abound these days.

Now with even more aplomb