Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Thanks. I saw some of those threads via my google fu, and it is great info but doesn't answer my question, though I haven't read them all in depth.
Maybe I haven't explained my question good enough though.

I am wondering how parallax adjustments in a scope work, not necessarily how to adjust for it. I can read how to do that in the first thread in your link. It seems to me keeping your head aligned as precisely as possible through the scope would minimize parallax, so I am unsure why any kind of setting or adjustment to the scope is necessary.

I also see a lot of parallax adjustment discussions pertaining to rimfires at 50 or 100 yards....at that distance what does it really matter?

The adjustment moves a lens or lenses so the target image and reticle come into focus at the same place. That way you can't "look around the reticle" and see movement of the target.

Focus may not be the correct term for it. You can have a clear image (ie focused) but still have parallax, and adjusting the focus affects the parallax to some extent. The Bushnell on my 22 has parallax adjustment and was the only scope I had where the range settings on the parallax adjustment actually matched the range. My eyes have gotten worse with age and I've had to adjust the focus, and now the parallax range setting doesn't correspond with the range. With most of my scopes I have to go for a parallax range setting greater than the actual range - I've got it noted somewhere what settings I have to use (I should mark it on the scopes.)

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?