The article says the RCMP have not confirmed that the couple was shot. Has this now been confirmed?
The right to keep and bear arms, like the right to self defense or defense of home, does not come from government, courts, or ancient documents; it simply exists, as long as you can make it stick. I have the right to bear arms because I bear arms. It is my choice as to when and where I assert that right. Those who drafted the US Constitution chose to affirm this right by putting it on paper a two and a half centuries ago (though many individual states choose to ignore this document) while Canadians, 25 years ago, chose to pretend the right of self determination does not exist. It is the right of self determination which gives us our freedom. Without that, we have nothing.
I'm certain there is much more to this story and expect we may hear more in days to come. Or maybe not, if the news media doesn't feel the story fits the liberal agenda. For instance: racially motivated crimes are newsworthy depending on the race of the victim and the perpetrator. One way, it's good for a 15 minute segment; flip it around and it's good for a fifteen second sound bite and you never hear another word.