Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
I don't have a lot of experience trolling, but want to try my hand at it for walleye and Kokanee salmon.

A local benefit thrift store that often has really good stuff, has (2) rigs for sale. Abu Garcia Ambassador 6600 C4 reels, 8' Cabela's TSX medium rods, good looking line and a little rigging. Both appear to be in excellent condition. I can get them for ~$70 each. This strikes me as a good deal but I'm an admitted amateur. Thoughts?

I use a different thought process than most when it comes to trolling.....My preference is to use a regular spinning rod matched to the size fish I'm targeting along with downriggers....unless of course the fish are near the surface.

I agree with matching reel size to fish size. My experience with spinning reels, they twist line and most have poor drags. There are some expensive spinning reels with quality drags, if you want to spend the money. To the OP read the Art of Trolling by Ken Shultz. Great information in his book. Kokannee , A Complete Fishing Guide, by Dave Biser. Both will answer most of your questions. Keep your line wet!

Last edited by Heym06; 07/21/19. Reason: Spelling