Originally Posted by RickcNY
I have an opportunity to buy a H&R 686 22 mag 7 1/2" barrel ,good/bad ? Thoughts many been a S&W guy but tempted ,reliability/accuracy?
My thought is that somebody has lost the .22 cylinder for it. The whole thing weighs on how much money it costs. The problem with H&R's now is they are almost as high as a Ruger. Personally I'd rather have an H&R as opposed to the pot metal Wrangler monstrosity Ruger is coming out with. If the Wrangler ends up having pretty good longevity, it will probably always outsell an H&R resale-wise, so there is that to consider if you're a trader or don't like the H&R. But back to earth, the last time I looked, H&R's on Gunbroker were nearly as high as a Single Six and certainly the Single Six for close to the same money, is the better play if not the better gun. The downside to H&R's as opposed to a Ruger is they are harder to fix-gunsmiths seem to hate them. I'd want to get into it for half or less of the cost of a Single Six sans cylinder, judging by recently closed auctions on Gunbroker. If you just didn't mention the other cylinder, but it is there, then bump that up a little maybe, depending on how cool you think the H&R is.