I installed two through a USDA program on my place. I did all the work and would have to look back to see how much I ended up in the project for but the .gov $ wasn't that much.

Mine are concrete troughs, plumbed from the bottom. I didn't plumb mine with city or well water, I plumbed a line coming in from a small gas powered pump which pumps water from my pond. No float or water level adjustment, I have to pump it....that's the downside. ...but I'm running a lot more goats than cattle (and horses) so it can go several days no problem....they are BIG troughs. The inspector wasn't real happy that I didn't plumb it for running water but according to the specs it wasn't required. Some people have installed them where they can siphon water from a pond but that wouldn't work in the location I installed them. I've been very happy with the setup.

I had to level the ground, put four flat solid concrete block in the corners and level it. Did the heavy duty weed barrier and gravel base around it. I didn't have to use any concrete pad. I installed them where a cross fence splits them so it works for two different lots.