Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH
Originally Posted by CCCC
The water heater may incubate the odor and intensify it, but I doubt that the substance or odor are caused by the water heater. The only times we have experienced such odor is when first using a well that has been idle - not pumped - for a period of time, and the odor usually disappears after a few uses of the water system from the well. Definitely a Sulphur odor for a while, then gone. I think someone has said more about this earlier in the thread.

Well was not used for about a year. We've been here, using it, since March 8th. We've only noticed the smell in the last week or 2.

It's only noticed in hot water, via shower most noticeably, but also with sinks when the water gets hot. Also, if you take a cold shower it's not noticed. If you take a less than hot shower, the smell gets less noticeable as the water gets colder.

If it were coming from the well, wouldn't we smell it in the toilets?

Reaching out to the property manager/landlord this weekend as we've gathered more info and options.

I would guess a sulfur content in the water and a sulfur reducing bacteria. That can can be in the well which you have little control of. But, as you state the facts, it seems to be in the hot water system. I'm back to dumping the contents enough to clear the sediment then hyper chlorinating.

Hyper chlorinating is basically like shocking a swimming pool.

Last edited by Armednfree; 07/24/19.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.