Resurrecting 4457 to ask a question... Does anyone know why CBP changed the 4457 forms by adding the date line? SCI wrote briefly that it was happening, but I don't think they indicated why. The form's purpose was proof of ownership for re-entry into this country. The forms were not transferable. Originally they could only be obtained by showing the item to the official at the office and completing the form. As long as you wanted, the form proved ownership just like the sales receipt was supposed to do and perhaps still does. After checking the serial, the CBP checked against a database to be sure it was not on a "stolen" list and, if not, good to go.

My issue is that it is a minimum of 4 hours round trip for me to get a dated form . I don't know why they started dating the form. Last form was "good for 2 years". How do I lose ownership in 2 years or why reprove? The problem with the date is that it gave South African Police a means to play like we have gun registration in the US.

Nevertheless, here is a good story on CBP. Two years ago I called the Birmingham, AL CBP and told them I had completed and printed a new 4457 written EXACTLY like my current one. Could I send the new with the former one with a stamped, self-addressed return envelope and have it signed and approved... Moment of reflection by agent... and the reply was, "Yes, I can do that. Address it to my attention."

Sorry! Kudos to CBP. Never had a bad time with any of them. Sad if you have. End of rant!