Yeah, back when that rifle was built, 98 actions were very inexpensive, even the coveted G33/40. Gunsmithing was much less costly so it was an economical alternative to buying a production rifle. These day, the opposite is true. While the cost of Mauser actions dropping in many areas, the cost of gunsmithing, barrels, and things like safeties has risen. Those with deep pockets and time and willingness to wait or the overwhelming desire to have a rifle built on a Milsurp 98, like the VZ24 will still commission them. But for most others, starting with a commercial action is usually more cost effective and more expedient. Also, in 1948, the only commercial 98 action available would have been the FN and I'm not certain it was widely available to the public yet.

When I started, all my rifles were built on Milsurp 98 actions. As I get older and time seems to speed up, I find myself gravitating toward building on commercial actions because I can get a new rifle into the field that much quicker.