On Friday, I finished up fitting a set of Williams Gun Sight replacement sights to my recently acquired 1960 20ga Deerslayer. The rear is their standard WDOS that slides into a dovetail and secures with a setscrew. The front is a fiber-optic bead specially shaped for the push-button ramp on the Deerslayers. I replaced the open sight blade with a peep blade which also fits on their WGRS receiver sights. I used a plain one, not the one with fiber dots on each side (hard to find just now). The setup is vastly superior to the original open sight paired with the translucent orange triangle front, which simple disappears for me. I'd prefer a blade to the bead, but feel lucky I didn't have to totally cobble something together myself.

Be aware that the front sight they provide isn't a true, sharp-cornered triangle like the original, but has little shoulders on the sides which I had to file flat with a needle file, a minor PITA. Once filed, I tapped it gently into the slot with a drift. The little spring-loaded button wasn't really needed to hold it, but I left it in to preserve the parts. Also be aware that the front ramp won't take a lot of pounding while fitting the insert. About 50 years ago, my late brother was fitting a steel blade to the identical ramp on a Super Single and broke one side of the slot. Epoxy saved the day, but better to not do it in the first place. The WDOS rear was snug, setscrew not really needed, but again I used it anyway. Windage and elevation are built in, no drifting needed.

I bought the 37 sight set direct from Williams and the peep insert from Midway. About $40 for the set and $5 for the peep, IIRC.

What fresh Hell is this?