From actual hunting experience with a series of Model 71's , I have found that deer and moose don't travel far when hit with Hornady 200 gr FP, or 225 gr FP Hawk Bullets.
Its not always necessary to use premium bullets, but if an outstanding bull elk gives you one opportunity, I would go with Woodleigh or Alaska Bullet Works bonded core 250 gr bullets.
All of my deer, elk and moose were shot under 125 yards, as I prefer to stalk closer.

I also tend to value the opinions of hunters and guides in the West, the Rockies in particular-along with Canada and Alaska. The game is bigger, and guides have seen
a cross-section of game taken with .348/35 caliber rifles, and other calibers.. Most agree that with well-constructed bullets like the previously mentioned and good bullet placement-the
game animal does not travel far, if at all.

Even with the few that might be scoped, the Model 71 in .348 is really a 150 yard rifle. For these ranges, a flat point bullet is a superior stopping design, and has for decades
been successful.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....