I had one for a year or so on my .338 and the optical clarity and the ability to transmit light was very good. Probably the best of any scope I have owned. I did not care for the scopes reticle offering which consists of Leupold's version of a wide duplex in either illuminated or non illuminated. The poorest reticle offering of any of their scope lines. In other aspects it was typical Leupold, light weight and good eye relief. Although it had the CDS feature, I never dialed with it and never really tested it's tracking abilities.

A short time ago I purchased a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 with the Forceplex illuminated reticle. It is a bit heavier then the Leupold and with out a side by side comparison I will never know if the glass is as good as the Leupold VX-5 HD is. But, I know the glass is plenty good enough for my late evening moose hunts and I trust the adjustments will be rock solid, as others on this forum have indicated. The cost difference of a new SHV and VX-5 HD is not huge, although I expect a used VX-5 HD 2-10x42 could be picked up cheaper then a used SHV 3-10x42.

Either can be used as a "set & forget" hunting scope. I doubt I will ever change scopes on my .338, unless I can get a 4a reticle in a SHV 3-10x42.

After comparing the scopes and their cost I am a converted Nightforce user.