Errata re boots: (aka ramblings of a backpacking codger re boots from 1958 till now)

Serious boots need the intersection of fit and quality. Gotta have both, no matter how well it fits nor how well built it is.

During my odyssey I wore out a pair of Vasque Sundowners, (maybe 20 ?) years ago, so this is dated material. At that time they were all leather, quite comfortable, light weight, and what I'd call a good medium trail hiking and packing boot. The sole and body were too soft for serious off trail hiking or climbing, for me anyway. I was doing a lot of group backpacking on trails at the time, and they were good for that. When the foot bed cracked all the way though and across, I went to boot cobbler Dave Page in Seattle and Dave told me that their construction at that time did not allow replacing the damage to my boot. To his credit, Dave flat out refused to name any boot or boot company as better or worse, and he stayed absolutely neutral when I asked.

Salewa has apparently discontinued the Rapace model I like so well. That is normal in my lifetime. 40 years ago I was learning this and so when I bought a superb pair of almost seamless leather lightweight Merrills, after a week or two of use I ought another pair and stored them till the first pair wore out. I should have bought half a dozen (!) though I've had better boots since, including my current Salewa Rapace. I considered buying a second pair of Rapace right way, but at my age and health, these may outlast my life.

If you find a boot that is excellent for you... Ditto for other excellent gear.

Excellent boots that fit my foot and my use over the years have included One Sport Moraine, a boot used on Everest a lot at the time and rated the best in 1997 by Backpacker magazine. That company became Montrail and I have not followed them.

A number of folks on this forum are knowledgeable and put boots to tougher use than 98% of purchasers. Mountain goats usually call for a different boot than most pheasant or whitetail hunting. Both are legit, not better nor worse, but quite different. Also, for the Peru man, nobody wants a boot or gear repair when we are miles away from roads. IMO err on overkill, over strength, over quality. We need to filter reviews and recommendations though our use and the use the reviewer put the boot through.

As a crusty old Canadian wolfer growled to me about popular hiking boots, “They are good for strolling the sidewalks in Banff.”