Sitka:

The Myth Busters could not make themselves sink with neoprene. Sort of a full body flotation device and nothing is really going to suck one down. One only goes down if packing a bunch of heavy gear, and I've actually swam rivers in my neoprenes.

I'm tall and on party fishing trips do a lot of the marginal water others can't take on. In my neoprene days I'd reach a depth where I could not stay glued to the bottom, start floating, and be taking giant steps to keep pace with the current. I can wade right to my armpits with today's fabrics.

If one does go down, I find I can tread water just fine with full waders. Admittedly, I'm not going to display any stylish butterfly, breast strokes, or speed, but swimming in quite doable. I suspect related deaths are a product of panic and no experience. I think 10 minutes in a local pool would be quite educational and rewarding for a lot of fishermen.

A humorous aside: A neighbor took up steel heading with our party and, due to some medications, was having real balance issues. Regardless of the water, he'd be soaked in 5 minutes every session. His solution was a dry suit. A bit of a pain to put on, but worked beautifully. He actually tuned his up such that he'd trap enough air inside so he could lift his boots, float 6 ft, and plant the boots again for casting. A bit disconcerting to be on the opposing shore and see ones comrade floating downstream in the current. Took a few outings for me to get used to that.

Have a good one and stay dry,

Last edited by 1minute; 08/06/19.

1Minute