Greg I have a friend that works for a very prominent auction house. He travels the US and Canada picking up gun collections for auction so when he was headed north I asked him to find me an MHG, nyuk nyuk nyuk I think to myself. He called me one day and says I found one for you. I thought he was joking of course since they're not exactly dime-store common.

Turns out he wasn't joking. It took a few months to import, mostly due to a terribly unprofessional importer. *Side note, he lost all the auction house's future business.

It arrived a few days ago and I've been marveling at it ever since. If you are as fascinated by them as I was, you owe it to yourself to lay for one. They do not disappoint. I love that the balance point is forward onto the wood rather than the metal receiver as is common with the hunting model Savage lever guns. Would be warmer to hang onto in the cold Canadian weather than a standard rifle. Makes me wonder if maybe that wasn't the intent of the longer barrel and forward balance point?????

At any rate, I think they are fabulous pieces of history and am enjoying reading about and handling this fun firearm. The weight makes it very pleasant to shoot in the 303, but it feels surprising lean and svelte in my hands. As I said, it's a very neat firearm.

LOL