Rick,
I am under the impression that the M75 Stevens simply evolved into the M29 Savage as the Savage management juxtapositioned the product line to suit whatever marketing whim imposed itself upon the powers-that-be. Savage history seems to be rife with such planning and decisions. The Savage M340 vs the Stevens M325 is one example. Other examples exist.

The BLUE BOOK lists the Sav M29 and indicates that production was initiated in 1929 (perhaps that is the orgin of the model designation "29"). As you pointed out, the design of the Stevens M75 and the Savage M29 are practically identical. In need of a takedown screw I was able to obtain a Sav M29 screw which I have used in the M75. The screw was about 1/8" too long and required shortening.

I have the feeling that the M75 Stevens was discontinued at the time in 1929 that the M29 was marketed. Admittedly, it is simple logic which causes me to form that judgement. My M75 is not serial numbered. I will check on the one that I discovered in the gun shop to see if it is serial numbered, that is, if it has not been sold.

The Stevens M75 seems to be one of those "lost" models for which very little if nothing at all is recorded. The one which I have is certainly not the pride and joy of my collection due to the fact that the metal finish is brown and there are rust pits in various places over the exterior surfaces. The bore is decent and it does go "bang" when the trigger is squeezed. Kind of a neat curiosity and one which can be tossed in the back of the pickup and not be worried too much about.

Thanks for your input. It adds to the dialogue.

Dave (dewker)

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.