I'm in the happy position of having a 22yr old son whose both followed me in serving and also hunting.

We started with him on my lap in a stand sucking candy (the stop at the gas station to choose being the most important part of the hunt) and practicing counting on flighting birds.

Pellet guns, 22s and a steady procession of rabbits, foxes, does and bucks followed. Slowly my status has changed from teacher to mentor and is now currently between knowledgeable and old fart. My ideas and outlook may be viewed as yesteryear but just occasionally the level of effort and knowledge that's gone into providing equipment and hunting are truly appreciated as he branches out on his own.

The long awaited desire to go solo is also tempered with a realisation that hunting solo isnt as easy as all that.

The pleasure if this is immense but lack of sleep when hunting and age related views of what's correct can bring out the old curmudgeon. Leaving a pack to crawl more easily after a buck was one such cantankerous old git moment

Any such stories of new meeting old?

Last edited by OttoG; 08/11/19.