OK, so I was on the road when I saw this thread, and I wanted to put in two cents without actually causing a major auto accident. But I think I'd like to add a bit more. smile

So I have been evaluating GPOs, and jotting notes, and I figured I would post an excerpt of something I plan to post up here pretty soon.

Spoiler alert: GPOs are the BOMB!

"The GPO’s construction is solid, with emphasis on the details that count. Optically, the view is stunning. Color rendition is especially rewarding. Sharpness and resolution are on par with anything, and I mean anything out there. Mechanically, the Passion HD beats some of the best handily. The focusing mechanism is about perfect, a combination of focusing rate and just the right amount of resistance which allowed for easy microadjustment and a huge sweet spot. Of the half dozen binoculars compared informally, none approached the GPO in terms of ease of precise focusing. Similarly, the eyecups were stellar, which is too often not the case with other manufacturers, especially at this price point. The operation screamed premium, with solid locks at preselected eye relief distances that you could rely upon to stay put! Rubber armoring and aesthetics, again, premium all the way.

GPO is the real deal. As the name more than implies, EXPECT a binocular fully on par with German precision optics. If the fact that the optic is made in Japan bothers you, fine. Go and pay double or triple the price for another bino. Just don’t tell me you’re getting anything appreciably better."

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine