Hey all. New here but have read countless posts over the years.

I picked up an mid 70's 99C 308 a little while back and I'm starting to (attempting to) set it up and dial it in for this fall's deer season.

I installed the Leupold 1pc base and medium STD rings and a VX-3i scope.

I had already purchased some 165gr Hornady American Whitetail factory ammo for it and some Interlock bullets so I could load my own after sighting in/setting up.

Well things haven't gone real well yet. She seems to really toss the 165gr around pretty inconsistently. I've been unable to keep 3 shots on an 8" target at 100 yards. We're talking something like a 6" to 8" group shooting off of a good bench with bags. I had 10rds left of the same Hornady factory ammo in 150gr and shot that and managed about a 3" to 4" group. The shot strings with the 150's were primarily strung horizontally so maybe I just need to get used to the trigger some or maybe this is a load I can work up better by handloading. It didn't appear that the 165's were tumbling as the bullet holes were clean/round.

So....having already bought the 165gr Interlocks, I loaded up an OCW set last night and will shoot them later today. I'm struggling to accept the significant difference between the factory 150s vs 165s.

I'm just curious of other's experience here and what you all think. I know there is a working load for this rifle, I just have to find it.

Last edited by jrsdws; 08/16/19.