For sale:

Commercial FN Mauser 98 action, 24” barrel 338-06 with 1-10” twist, 0.625” at muzzle ( no sights), bore is bright and shiny, Timney trigger, synthetic stock ( I think it is a Butler Creek), blued steel bottom metal with push button release ( not hinged, push button a slide floor plate rearward to release. Not Oberndorf style). Includes Lee full length die set with shell holder, and 1 box of .338” Winchester Silver Tip 250 grain bullets ( not loaded cartridges: bright and shiny, not corroded, in factory original box). Barrel is stamped “338-06”. No other markings on the barrel.

I do NOT know the pedigree of this rifle. Do NOT know barrel manufacturer. Do NOT know who did the chambering/fitting/gunsmithing. I believe the action has been reblued, due to comparison of stamping on receiver compared to my J.C. Higgins model 50 commercial FN action. Blue job is well-executed and is at least 95% (more likely 97+%). I do NOT know know if this was a J.C. Higgins Model 50/51 prior to this build, but it is a full length commercial FN m98 action, no thumb cut ( but that would be my guess, and only a guess). I have owned four J.C. Higgins m50/51 FN auctioned rifles. This one , and my 4 others are in the same s/n range: 12,000-14,000.

Rifle weighs 7 lbs 8 oz with scope bases, unloaded, no scope. The only thing “wrong” with it is that there are three scope base holes in the rear receiver. It came with Weaver aluminum 2-piece scope bases, with the rear base hole spacing of 0.5”. There are two hole spacing on these actions: 0.5” and ~0.7+”. I presume this rifle had the “more difficult to find rear scope base hole spacing” of 0.70+”, and a previous owner had a third hole drilled/tapped for the more commonly found 0.5” scope base. The rear Weaver base did not totally cover the third hole. I had a new set of blued steel Warne Maxima two-piece bases with the wider rear hole spacing, and mounted them. These bases accept “Weaver style” rings. The Warne bases are included. I may still have the original bases. If I find them, they will be included. Holes are 6-48 thread.

I have not fired this rifle. I have not formed any brass for it. I bought it due to a multi-decade long interest in the caliber, and found ness of commercial FN actions. Timney triggers breaks crisply at 2.75 lbs, without over-travel. (Beautiful trigger). Had right shoulder surgery, and have decided I’ll just use my 30-06 J.C. Higgins as my “big rifle.” A .338” 225 grain bullet at 2625+ FPS will yield 3500+ ft-lbs of muzzle energy.

The stock is very nice, and has a shadow line on the cheap piece. No markings, but it sure looks like the discontinued Butler Creek design.

Overall, a very nice rifle. First public “I’ll take it” gets it. PM email for pictures.

$650+ shipping ( about $35? In lower 48 USA). +$20 if have to ship FROM my FFL.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."