Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by las
Road reopens 12 noon today. I'll go check it out. Gonna be a looooooooong, slow ride to Anchorage. Taking the camper truck instead of the Expedition. Shipping the wife off to Spain.

I might (WILL!) have to pee, there in line. Or somewhere....... smile

Hope you took a mask!

My pee don't stink... But the inside of the camper sure does! Of smoke. Never used the head.

Sections around CL had 75 yard vis, with smolders both sides of road on the flats. That white truck 100 yards in front of me would just disappear like magic at times.

Actually the trip time was not greatly extended going up- it was coming back, when a normal 2.5 hour trip went to 4, due to night construction delays.

The 5 mo old Dachshund is traumatized: "GO BACK. TURN AROUND! WE LEFT MOM!" , coming off Hillsidel to Muldoon, at fuel stop in Girdwood, and 2 pee stops thence to home, arriving at 12:30 am.

I am a mean, cold-hearted bastard. I had to laugh...every time.

She is headed to Spain with her good friend Linda Saito, with whom we became acquainted in Kotz. I'd met Link a couple times in passing up there, but had a very good 4 hour visit and dinner this evening at their Hillside retiree home before heading home. (NICE! - my guess is north of 1.5M, but I bet they got it for considerably less during the housing crash. Link is a sharp guy - for all his Japanese heritage, he's a pretty good Jew.... that's complementary, not racist... smile ) Heck of a guy.

Son Brandon is ADFG biologist in Kotz. I worked at Ak Air there with his wife for a couple years.

OK- so we went up a day too early. My wife doesn't do schedules too well (or for that matter locations and directions) - they leave TOMORROW on a red-eye... but heck - the road may be smoke-closed then anyway.... smile

Last edited by las; 08/22/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.