i use a mix of wheat/rye, over-seeded with clovers & rape. We were supposed to be mowing & breaking ground this weekend, but rain all weekend. Had 13 plots last year ranging from an acre to about 6 acres...probably wont do as many this year.

on good soil, i'll usually do the wheat-to rye mix at 60-40%, broadcast at about 80# per acre...after discing & seeding, i'll drag a chain harrow to cover & then broadcast rapeseed & clovers. Soils that tend to run drier, more sandy, etc get the mix rate reversed to rye at 60-70%.

We try to have al that done by Mid-September. The deer browse them all winter, and in april or so i'll mow them once after the wheat/rye has died out....the clover pops, and we'll get another 3 months or so of good growth before summer toasts them, i dont maintain plots in the summer. On average, we'll have good green stuff growing well from Mid-September through the next June/July, with only a single planting.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

a new plot we built last year, from start to end...my brother in law took a good buck on that plot in muzzleloader season:

tree removal:

[Linked Image]

trees gone, about to be scalped:
[Linked Image]

disced, seeded...we got lucky on timing, rain came that day:
[Linked Image]

some green popping:
[Linked Image]

============================================================