I find wind resisent yet breathable has some tradeoffs. Most garments I've tried lean closer to one end of the spectrum or the other. Any of the 'active' garments with light amounts of insulation usually breathe fairly well - but I find them too hot for the hike in. I've used the Sitka Active series and the Kuiu Kenai. They work as advertised but I still found them too hot for climbing.

For me, I tend to use a Fisrt Lite Areowool next to skin, Sitka Core Heavyweight next. If it's more than 25 degrees or so, I find that plenty for the hike in. If its steep, I've worn that combo down into the teens. If it's in the teens and kind of flat, a relative term in elk country, i tend to wear my softshell (Sitka Jetstream) over the Core Heavyweight. 99% of the time I dont put on any real insulation until I get where I'm going and cool down a bit. I have 3-4 insulation layers I wear depending on what I'm doing and temps. I wear the regular Kelvin jacket most of the time in Oct elk season. It spends alot of time in my pack and is worn over my Core HW but under my Jetstream. The Kelvin tends not to come out till I decide to sit somewhere.

I do alot of still hunting which is why I tend to run a bit minimalist. I really want to be stealth when I'm sneaking around. I've shot several elk wearing just a Core HW or Patagonia R2 while still hunting. I find them about perfect for my style of hunting - quiet and enough warmth not to sweat.

A long winded way of saying, i really like the Sitka products. I'd probably lean Kelvin Active hoody for what you describe. I really like hoods as well. I've worn up to 3 at the same time (Core HW, Kelvin, Jetstream).........

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.