OK all here is what I did

I bought 2 different lines. One is Berkley Trilene XT, 20 lb. test. The 2nd is P-Line TCB X braid, 40 lb test. I put the Berkley 20 lb on the reel. The reel is an Abu Garcia Black Max. It's not an expensive real but it is rated well based on some of the reviews I saw. Since this is the first bait caster I have owned and it's not an expensive one I want to try the combination out and see if I like it. I'm going to the Mississippi this week end to fish with a brother in law and I'll get a chance to throw some lures.

The Berkley line was $8 for 270 yards so I'm not out much if I decide I don't like it. The P-Line TCB was $16 and was on sale at Sportsman's Warehouse. A sample of the line is attached to the box the and the box states that the line is equivalent to 10 lb mono line. If this test goes well I think I will want a better reel and I'll put the P-Line braid on it. I really like the Shimano reels but I can't say that I will use one enough to pay the price.

My pole is a Berkley Graphite. It's not an expensive pole and as I recall I bought the reel and the pole at same time. This has been all of 5 years ago and I didn't really have the opportunity to use either one until now. If I decide to go with a better reel I'm going to have to get a better pole as well.

The advantage of the 20 lb mono line is it's easy to see and tie. The color is Low Vis Green. I had a little incident with a table saw in 2008 and the fingers on my left hand don't move like they used to. The 20 lb line is easy to manipulate and tie.

Thanks for all of the input. I appreciate you all taking your time to reply. I'm looking forward to this weekend.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.