I have overloaded No 4 Mk I rifles.

I have done a stress calculation on the bolt. It is springy with the lugs at the back. The thin walls of the bolt tube compress for a millisecond and stretch the brass beyond elastic into plastic deformation. Ackley was right about this in the 1960s.

~~ 2002 all of the USA and Canada seemed to be out of longer bolt heads. Making heads from surplus blanks has clocking problems.

I have made a fixture for soldering a shim to the bolt head to fix the headspace. I read a message from a Brit in Florida that did the same for No 1 Enfields.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That last pic is a 308 Ishapore. It shoots steel cased ammo best.

I would like to say:
I have converted VZ24 Mausers to 7mmRemMag and 300WM and got them to feed.
I have converted 91/30 Mosin Nagants to 7mmRemMag and 300WM and got them to feed.
The only cartridge I would consider for an Enfield conversion is 25 Krag Ackley.
[Linked Image]

I did convert a 30/40 Krag [nearly the same cartridge as the 303 Brit] last week to 25 Krag Ackley. I also made a 3rd action screw in the front ring.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps