Not a gun writer, either but I’ve shot a few deer and elk with the 7-08 using various Nosler and Barnes bullets and do have experience.

I’d say if you’ve been using the 139 SST, just buy some Hornady Superformance ammo and see if your rifle likes it. If so, stock up and go hunting. Great deer bullets that you already have confidence in.

The 140 NBT is also one to try. I liked the performance I received from this bullet and would recommend it without hesitation.

All this being said, the 120 NBT is my favorite whitetail bullet in the 7-08. Very high DRT percentage and just seemed to work the best of everything I ever used from 20 - 300 yards. I’d at least run a box of Nosler’s ammo loaded with it through your rifle to see how it shoots.

Lastly, you may want to pick up a box each of Winchester Deer Season XP 140gr and Browning BXR 144gr and try them. These are rapid-expanding bullets that provide extremely quick and spectacular kills with the 7-8 deer I’ve seen taken with them (all from the 6.5 Creedmoor loads).

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?