Well, we went back. I saw something I should have attacked, but I couldn't find my checkbook before we went. But Dad brought his.

First up was a 220 Swift Model 70 (1953). Yes, he bought it, he never listens to me. So that was two grand plus. No bases or rings or scope. It is a nice Model 70 but I don't have that fetish, and it's Dad's first Model 70.

Then, a cherry Win 61 pump. I mean, cherry. Just a little wear from the corncob on nice dark blue, hardly any marks on the action, pristine safe queen. That was 1200. A neat little rifle, but again, not a rational buy. But it's another thing Dad lusted after during the Depression, so what the hell.

Did see a couple Mausers with potential and a sleeved XP100 turned into a short barrel (maybe 19) benchrester in 223. The tag said 1200 which I KNOW is absolutely ridiculous, I could have dickered that down to 700 without breaking a sweat. There was also a P-17 that had been "targetized" by somebody, had a nice Redfieild rear and a globe up front, only 350. Nice work, actually. close to a fair price.. I should have brought the checkbook -- I usually never bring cash and always make sure I've got a business card or some ID from the seller. But I could have dickered for both.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.