It’s a .270, and boy what a shooter. I did a quick eyeball bore sight and used 150grn Core Lokts to get it close at 50yds. I moved the target to a 100 and the CL’s shot about a 1 1/2”. I changed to 140grn Hornady’s and shot just under 2”. Then it was time for my favorite box ammo. I have used Federal Premiums in the blue box for just about every 30-06 I have ever owned. They all liked these in 150grn. So, I tried the Federal 130grn 270’s and with a pretty warm barrel the old Model 70 shot 3 touching at 100 yds. I was shooting prone bipod. I zeroed her at 2 1/2” high and she’s ready for the northern Michigan big woods. In the last 15 years I’ve only taken one whitetail at over 250yds and shots at that distance are awfully rare.

So, it’s my dad’s old Ballard rifled 336RC with a Leupold 2x7 for opening morning (I lost my dad in 2012 and since then the old Marlin gets used opening morning. It’s like he’s with me when I carry old Bertha. Damn I miss him). But after opening morning the old Win 270 Featherweight will get it’s chance at finding a nice buck. I’m pretty dang excited to hunt with my new Model 70 and knowing she’s a shooter makes it even better.

T4

7th and 10th Special Forces Groups (Retired)