Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Originally Posted by Mgw619
From a ga boy knowing zero about caribou... are tags for bulls only?

Depends on the hunt and the strength of the herd. This year my hunt was to be bulls only at first, but after the summer herd census they allowed for either sex.

And other factors.. such as which herd/location/GMU. Varies.

Wife and I hunted 40 mile herd this year, off the Steese Hwy north of Fairbanks. One either-sex registration permit each. Those August bulls are prime!

A bit of a circus, at least the first day. Season is closed by emergency order when quota is reached. This year, 5 days. I took a fair bull day one, wife same on day 2 - then we had to haul ass for home before the meat spoiled- 700 miles . Temps were in 60's up there, 70's near home, 50's at night. Meat was just about rightly aged (4 days, including kill day) when we processed - mine first, one day, hers the next - tho it's better longer and cooler. About 38 degrees and 10 days is good! But we don't have a controlled temp meat place. Am considering a couple big coolers and ice, if there is a next time. Less hurried trip that way -

I was thinking just yesterday I maybe should have left a snowmachine with friends in Kotzebue when we left last year. Come November, I could camp on their floor, and weather permitting, go out and whack up to 5 cow caribou per day.... tho 3 would suffice, one day only. I'd be all done....

Bull season is closed there from Oct 15 to Feb 1- Rut/Eskimo preference - incorporated into regs, big rutty bulls are referred to as "stink-bulls" -and inedible, tho bulls are again edible, tho fat-less, by Nov 10 or so. Not as good eating as all those pregnant cows. But there are lots.....:)

Good hunt P!

Last edited by las; 09/15/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.