We did have a very good time....other than the lost luggage coming back from Botswana I posted in the Botswana in Aug 2019 thread.

Going through Amsterdam and direct into Windhoek was a good way to go for us. It was a direct overnight flight on Delta to Amsterdam, 11-hour layover and a direct flight on KLM to Windhoek. Since we'd already been to Amsterdam (city) a few times, we just booked a day room in the Yotel Hotel right inside the secure side of the airport. Lots of restaurants to choose from, typical airport shops to browse and a small but comfortable room with queen size bed and shower to really stretch out and relax for a good sleep.

The transit permit for going through Amsterdam was not too bad at all. Download the form, follow the instructions, print it, sign it and email it in with a copy of your 4457 and invitation letter. They do require it be submitted 8-weeks prior to your initial transit. I was a bit late doing it since we decided to book tickets inside the 8-week window. They still got our permits approved and back to us in time.

The Delta flight was actually pretty good. Did the economy comfort grades on both going over and got upgraded for free on both coming back. The KLM flight was OK, the Airbus aircraft was showing a little age. Most important part is we didn't have to deal with SAA and their new sillyass extra fees for firearms or doing the SAPS 520 transit permits for J'berg or deal with all everyone asking for "a little something extra"

When we go next year, we intend to try Qatar Airways for both Namibia and starting this October, into Gaborone Botswana. 3-days a week into/out of each.

As I've said before - If anyone would like to go to either Sebra Hunts in Namibia or over to the Tuli Block in Botswana with Koch Safaris, I'll do what I can to help facilitate it and if someone wants to go but not travel alone, I'll go along. I love both places that much and I honestly want other to experience places I've been very fortunate to go to.