It's always been something with the Mauser from Hell.

I've had this sporterized K98 since 2014, and it's always been something going wrong. I finally got all the bugs worked out last year and got it shooting some of the best groups I've ever shot. I gave it to a local gunsmith to do one last bit of tinkering-- specifically to put a different safety on it, because the old one wouldn't fit under the scope.

I finally had it out this weekend to test it out for deer season. Ooops. I had 5 round left of one batch and 40 from another. I used the first 5 to test function. On the first three of those, I could not get a dent on the primer on the first try. On the second try each time, I had normal function. After I switched to the newer batch, everything was fine.

I just need someone to double-check my logic. Batch 1 was full-length resized. Batch 2 was neck sized. My guess is that somehow in all this, that started making a difference. Also, there might be a lubrication issue now. My solution to the latter will be spraying some brake cleaner into the hole for the firing pin and then following that up with a drop or two of very light oil.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer