Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Things have changed in the last couple of decades. Giardia is now epidemic. It has spread nationwide and is now found even in water in the highest mountains and almost right out of springs. Drinking any unfiltered water anywhere is risky these days.

Giardia is not an "epidemic", it's "endemic" (native to certain areas). Giardia has been in the world for time immemorial...

Aside from 24hr Campfire speculation, incidences of Giardia are on the decrease according to the CDC:

[Linked Image from cdc.gov]

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss6403a2.htm

"For the first time since 2002, giardiasis rates appear to be decreasing."

I've had waterborne diseases, but both occurrences happened when I knew better to drink the water. I got Giardia around 1989 drinking from a farm stream on a hot summer day when I knew better to do so, and in India (HEP-A) in 1984 when my Halazone tablets got separated from me on a long flight from the USA, and I gave in to drinking water on a hot August day from the tap in my hotel.

Aside from that, I've backpacked 1000's of miles, Georgia to Alaska, Maine to Montana, and never had an issue... but I also don't get sick.

Were I carrying a filter, which I would do in some areas, I'd use a Sawyer gravity system.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery