Originally Posted by Tejano
Well this has convinced me to restore the old gun. Even though 16 gauge shells are hard to find on sale and I don't currently have reloading dies maybe I will just start getting AA loads until I have a stockpile of hulls and then start re-loading for the 16.

JKLUND38 Liked that story and this is a family gun too.

Compression formed (Win AA style) hulls in 16 ga haven't been made in 30 years so you will be hard pressed to build up much of a stockpile of them. I started out with over a thousand of them around 1990, I'm down to maybe 300 now and I've added some to the stash along the way. Prices have gone way up as these shells have reached collector status to some.

I prefer the Remington hulls of those currently available. They load much like the old AAs and I typically get several reloads out of them. Next would be Cheddite and other European hulls. Their biggest negative is needing to use European primers rather than American one's. Close behind are Federal hulls. These latter hull (Federal and Euro) are fairly volumnous which make them better for 1 1/8 or 1 1/4 oz loads. The Remington and old Winchester AA style are my preferred hull for 1 oz and lighter loads.

I've been reloading16 ga for a long time. There are not many options for the 16 ga in either factory loads or reloading components. In some ways that is good though it can be a problem looking for loads.