I'll post this here, as I know and respect a handful of you who post in this section. And some of you have some REALLY nice rifles.....and will know more than I do

Nearing 50. Should do well selling a home next spring if the market holds. Gonna do Plains Game somewhere. Have not had a custom rifle in some time. Several rebarrels in McM stocks. That's more semi custom I am guessing. The older I get the more fun I have banging steel with the SA likes of 6.5 and 243. But my All Time favorite chambering is 338 Win Mag.

I have a lefty Win 70 in 338 I paid too much for. Had a decent 1" Limbsaver ground to fit. Bought a Williams One Piece still in the white that I opened up the stock to accept. Bedded the whole thing. But it's never really been a Shooter. I don't shoot sanctioned PRS but will compete locally in shoots. So I am more of a LR/Precision nerd. A not very consistent 2-3" gun at 100 gives me zero warm feelings. Small chance an older Varix-III is floating, but doubtful.

This was kinda my Grail Gun.....and as I have grown older the McM Coyote pattern isn't the fad it once was....and GAP/Hunter Camo has also faded. Leaves my wanting a Highbean McWalnut. What a great looking classy stock that can take a beating. I'll have one in some fashion for a project.

Question is.....I was hung up on the Win 70 CRF from all the writings of the 70-80's....however this current box stock gun seems to maybe hit the shoulder on the edge of the chamber and sometimes needs a short stroke to feed correctly? Bugs me a bit. Accuracy sucks. Factory stock is nice, but I've dremeled and bored the piss out of it.....it's not worth what I paid for it after free floating and bottom metal inletting and bedding...yet I still cannot bring myself to Ground Tuning it and beating the Schittt out of it.

Do I invest in a Bartlein #3 and have someone skilled in Winchesters rebarrel it? Be the cheapest route (if it gives me MOA ish accuracy I'd be pleased...sub would be peachy). And order the McWalnut to toss it in when they put it together? Is jacking with this rifle throwing money down a hole and it will never be what I hope for?

Cut my loses and simply buy a Montana Lefty ALR and have a classy looking rifle for $1700? ( I was in on the original action purchase program that was a debacle. Have a CZ-3 which was their barreled action that went back 2X to get it right, but it's a nice rig in a McMillan now).

I really like the 26" barrels on rifles. A MRC 1999 ALR would cost me several hundred $$$ to get a 26" instead of the 24".

Or take one of my R700 LH mag actions and get a tube spun on and wait on the McM? Quit fighting the M70 action and feeding and trigger? The M70 seems quite simple but almost dangerous looking design and outdated by what's available on a R700/Clone?

General thought on the above

Last edited by Jesse Jaymes; 09/24/19.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....