Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Looking to get into using a crossbow but don't want to spend a bunch only to decide i don't like it.

Got any recommendations? Carbon express or centerpoint or?

I hooked up gophergunner a couple years back with a used Excalibur. He does not seem to be using it and may be willing to part with it.

Go Excalibur and get a used one. You won't have much money into it and pretty well anything wrong with it is easily and cheaply fixable without sending it back. Excalibur has been good about supporting their warranty on bows bought used.just in case something you can't fix is wrong. Mine is very accurate and kills deer quite nicely. If you get one, the new Rage X-Treme heads look good. The factory original scopes that came with the earlier Matrix bows were decidedly awful. so you may have to plan on replacing that. A second focal plane scope with the top of the post below the horizontal wire can be made to function as a second aim point by adjusting the magnification, so a usable rifle scope can easily be substituted. You do not need more than 3x magnification. You also want a lighted nock on the arrows. Keep those thoughts in mind when looking at used scopes because you will likely get them in the deal. Lighted nocks will run $8-$10. Arrows typically run about $10 minimum, heads more like $13-$15 each. A good USABLE scope will go ~$100, a Flemish string will run ~$30.