Please don't take it the wrong way. Perhaps I was a bit abrupt, but I just never warmed to the 24's. It's not the 24's fault, I just realized early on in my early days of loonyism that I couldn't delve into every gun known to man, so I drew the line here and there and most of what Savage built that wasn't 1899/99's fell outside that line. Heck, I was well into adulthood before I opened the door to 99's!

As for centerfire 24's being ideal platforms for cast bullet experimentation- they may be so, but may not be so. The shotgun barrel tagging along underneath isn't appealing in that regard. During my decades long shotgun infatuation there wasn't room for single shots with a rifle barrel attached to them.

Don't fret, I'm not terribly enamored of Germanic drillings either!

Not being a collector in the true sense of the word, I'm not driven to acquire specimens of guns to fill a collection if they hold no interest for me outside of the purpose of filling that collection. Examples of that philosophy would be pretty much anything Savage that doesn't have a lever on it. An example would be Savage pistols: I'm a pistol shooter (kind of) not a collector, and as such I personally find the Savage pistol to be awkward ergonomically so even though they are dandy mechanisms I don't want one.

Yeah, I'm a strange duck!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty